Washington Evening Journal
http://washington-ia.villagesoup.com/p/980045

Neighbors Growing Together | Oct 25, 2014

Chimney fire

Mar 26, 2013
The Washington Fire Department responded to a house fire Monday afternoon. Fire Chief Tom Wide estimates damage to the house and its contents to be about $5,000.

The Washington Fire Department responded to a house fire Monday afternoon. Fire Chief Tom Wide estimates damage to the house and its contents to be about $5,000.
The fire department was called shortly after 2:30 p.m. to a residence at 501 S. D Ave. to reports of smoke and flames coming from the roof. Firefighters determined  the blaze had started from a wood-burning fireplace chimney and was situated in the attic and rafters of the house. Wide said the fire department had to remove some of the ceiling and the roof to access the flames.
Wide said the tenants were out before fire crews arrived. He said the electricity to the building had been turned off earlier that day. He also said the chimney was years old and not the triple-lined chimney now required by code. The Red Cross was contacted to find housing for the family.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.