Down Memory Lane
The Washington Community High School Class of 1958 did not get to go on a class trip because previous classes had misbehaved, so the class members decided to donate the money that they had raised for a trip back to the school in some form.
Ted Thornton purchased this bell on behalf of the Class of ’58, from The Mona and Joe Schlatter Antique Store. The bell was from a country schoolhouse in Washington County, but we do not know which one.
So, the Class of 1958 named this bell, Victory Bell, and gave it to the Washington High School, to be rung after being victorious in whatever endeavor we pursued, such as sports, music, the arts or academic contests.
Carolyn Hinshaw (McNeill) was instrumental in getting masons to build the brick structure for the bell, on the roof of the school east of the entrance to the “new” gymnasium. Carolyn mustered up courage to ask her uncle Charles Minick if he would help build this structure for her 1958 Class Victory Bell. Charles Minick and Daryl Tucker donated their labor to construct the brick house for the bell above the gymnasium entrance of the old high school.
The 1958 Class Victory Bell committee was Carolyn Hinshaw, Ted Thornton, Gene Glider, Gary Marston and Everett Jones.