Dry conditions, high winds send field fires out of control
The Washington Fire Department had a busy weekend because of the windy conditions.
On Saturday evening, they responded to a house fire in the 600 block of East Tyler Street.
Washington Fire chief Tom Wide said the fire started from a cigarette that was discarded carelessly. People threw their cigarettes in a plastic container, which caught fire and then spread to the house.
The fire department arrived on scene and was able to put the fire out pretty quickly. There was minimal damage to the house, Wide said.
Sunday afternoon, the fire department also responded to two field fires that got out of control.
The field fire was a controlled burn on Kiwi Avenue and 260th Street that became out of control at 10:22 a.m., according to the call log.
According to Wide, this person had everything ready for a controlled field fire. They had plenty of water on hand and planned firebreaks, but the wind caught the fire and it jumped.
The firemen just got back to base after this fire and were called to a field fire in the Ainsworth Fire district at Underwood Avenue and Old White Way for mutual aid by the Ainsworth Fire Department, according to the call log.
Wide said this was a fairly large fire and with the wind blowing it made things interesting for both departments. He estimated his department was on hand for about an hour before they returned to Washington.
Even with the moisture Washington received from the snow last week, Wide says things are still pretty dry out. The wind has dried out most of the leaves and timber people like to burn.