Fighting fire in icy weather
A chimney fire occurred in Washington early Tuesday morning.
According to the Washington communications center call log, the fire was at 12:02 a.m. and was located at 812 East Tyler.
The Washington Fire Department, Washington County Ambulance, and Alliant all responded to the scene. Everyone safely got out of the house, the call log said.
Washington firefighter Randy Tisor said there was water and smoke damage to one bedroom in the home but the home is still inhabitable.
“The damage occurred mainly between the roof and the ceiling,” he said. “We had to pull down the ceiling and some of the trusses to get to the fire.”
Due to the colder temperatures the ambulance was put on standby but wasn’t needed, Tisor said.
“We had the ambulance there in case a firefighter needed to warm up but didn’t have to use them,” he said.
Firefighters bring extra gear with them, including gloves, to help keep them warm while fighting a fire in frigid weather, Tisor said.