Washington Evening Journal
http://washington-ia.villagesoup.com/p/948082

Neighbors Growing Together | Oct 26, 2014

Firefighters battle blaze Saturday

By Andy Hallman | Jan 14, 2013

A fire on 190th Street Saturday afternoon destroyed a barn and killed a pig inside. The fire occurred at 2674 190th Street between Washington and Riverside at about 5 p.m. The property is owned by Glen Hoyle.
Jim Williams, second assistant fire chief of the Washington Fire Department, said the firefighters learned on their way to the fire that it had already fully engulfed the barn.
“By the time we got there, most of it was on the ground,” he said. “It was a total loss.”
The Washington and Riverside Fire Departments responded to the scene and found a second building was also on fire. A hog house east of the barn was burning, too. The hog house contained 19 show pigs. The firefighters were able to hose down the fire to save the show pigs. Williams said a portion of the building will need to be repaired.
The barn that caught fire housed a gilt who was about to farrow. The gilt was under a heat lamp. Williams suspects the fire was caused by the gilt knocking down the heat lamp and setting her bedding on fire.
“There was no other equipment in the barn to speak of,” Williams said. “It was a small, old shed with a tin roof.”
Williams estimated that the gilt was worth $300 to $400. Apart from the pig, he said there was little of value in the barn except a few storage crates.
Williams said it’s pretty rare for an animal to cause a fire.
“We don’t get those calls very often,” he said. “Usually, the cause is electrical.”

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.