Look out for hidden calories in holiday drinks
HOUSTON, Texas — While many people think twice before taking a second serving of a delicious holiday dessert, they may not do the same when it comes to that holiday beverage. But liquid calories can quickly add up, say experts at Baylor College of Medicine.
Some tips to remember include:
• Combine alcohol with a diet mixer or low-calorie tonic.
• Remember to pace yourself and alternate alcoholic beverages with a glass of water or club soda with lime.
• When it comes to popular cocoa and coffee drinks, choose non-fat milk, skip the whipped cream.
• Pay attention to portions – different beverages are served in different size glasses and cups so be aware of what you are drinking and how many servings you consume at one time.
• Remember that after drinking alcohol, the desire for salty foods is also enhanced.