Master Gardeners landscape barn
Washington County Master Gardeners were doing a lot of digging this week as they planted more than 100 plants around the historic Johnson polygonal barn now located on the fairgrounds. The plants include evergreen and deciduous shrubs, Dianthus, Coreopsis, Salvia May Night, Stachys Lambs Ears, Heuchera Coral Bells, Dicentra Bleeding Heart Fern Leaf, and Sedum Capanula Bell flowers.
The newly landscaped area first received some good black dirt courtesy of the Washington County Fair Board. The Master Gardeners then tilled the ground and staged the plants. Then they planted, fertilized, watered and mulched the 28 shrubs and over 70 perennials.
The group also spent many hours weeding, deadheading and mulching in the garden in front of the historic schoolhouse, the 1894 Railroad Depot, the concrete planters, and gardens surrounding the ISU Extension building.
Master Gardeners assisting with the project were Kay Ciha, Don Pfeiffer, Dianne Nelson, Norma Stutzman, Sandy Krotz, Chris Kirkwood, and Sheila Gerot. Dick Nelson supplied and operated the tiller and two of Gerot’s grandchildren assisted with planting.
The polygonal barn was originally located south of Wellman. It was disassembled and moved to the Washington County Fairgrounds late last year. Reconstruction was recently completed with the barn boasting new paint, windows, and electricity. The project was made possible through a grant from the Washington County Riverboat Foundation.