Renovation discussion tabled
Discussion on a preliminary schedule to renovate the former Washington Public Library into a new city hall was tabled during Tuesday evening’s Washington City Council meeting after council member Bob Shellmyer asked for a tour of the building.
While the meeting was being held in the former library, city clerk Illa Earnest said that many of the upstairs rooms and the basement were locked. City administrator Brent Hinson said that he would set up a tour for the council before its May 20 meeting.
Shellmyer expressed concern about renovating the building with several cracks in the walls and a possibly broken beam on the second floor.
In other business, the council:
• set a hearing date for the FY 2014 budget amendment for May 20;
• approved engineering services for the former wastewater treatment plant demolition;
• approved a notice of hearing and letting for the East Tyler paving project;
• approved a resolution dedicating Country Club Road;
• set a public hearing for May 20 for the 2014 seal coat project;
• approved the second reading amending ordinances pertaining to job descriptions;
• approved the second reading of an additional stop sign on North Third Avenue at East 11th Street;
• changed some of the wording in a proposed ordinance regarding temporary encroachments in a right of way after hearing objections from resident Richard Gilmore; and
• tabled a special session to give employee evaluations.