Streets to close for RAGBRAI
FAIRFIELD — As the city prepares for an influx of as many as 25,000 people on July 26 for RAGBRAI, Fairfield residents should be mindful of road closures, detours and traffic delays.
Terry Baker, assistant director of the Fairfield Iowa Convention and Visitors Bureau, said some roads must be closed to ensure the safety of RAGBRAI cyclists. Other roads will be heavily congested with support vehicles and vendor deliveries.
To avoid compounding anticipated traffic congestion, city residents are being encouraged to walk or ride bicycles if they must travel in Fairfield while RAGBRAI is in town.
Support vehicles will begin arriving as early as 6 a.m. July 26. The majority of the support vehicles are expected to arrive by early afternoon. The main campground for recreational vehicles is the Jefferson County Fairgrounds. RVs will be entering town from exit 210 west of town. All other support vehicles will be entering town from exit 212 south of Fairfield. Once support vehicles and RVs begin arriving, traffic will become congested quickly.
Some riders prefer to complete the daily route early in the day to avoid rising temperatures. Early birds may wheel into town as early as 7 a.m. The bulk of the riders are expected by 9 a.m. Cyclists will arrive from Packwood on Brookville Road.
The following areas will be closed prior to July 26 to give workers and volunteers time to set up for RAGBRAI:
• The public parking lot northeast of the Fairfield Ledger will be closed from 6 p.m. Tuesday to 8 a.m. July 26. This area is being used to stage kybos and trash cans.
• The gravel parking lot behind the civic center will be closed from the morning of Wednesday to the morning of July 26. This area also is being used to store kybos and trash cans.
• The parking spots designated for kybo placement on the Fairfield Square will be blocked off Wednesday evening. Kybos will be delivered throughout the day on Thursday.
• A section of parking on Court Street, directly across from the old Carnegie library, will be blocked off during the day on Wednesday to allow for dumpster placement.
• Parts of the Fairfield Square will be closed after the close of the business day on Thursday to allow set-up time for the entertainment/beverage garden and vendor areas.
To accommodate the flood of cyclists, RVs and support vehicles, the following roads will be closed from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. July 26:
• Grimes Avenue from 32nd Street to Sixth Street
• Sixth Street from Grimes Avenue to Fillmore Avenue
• Briggs Avenue from Sixth Street to D Street
• D Street from Briggs Avenue to Broadway Avenue
• Broadway Avenue from D Street to Park Street
• Burlington Avenue from Main Street to B Street
In addition to these street closures, the business district will be closed from Second Street to B Street and Burlington Avenue to Briggs Avenue, with the exception of Highway 1.
The following roads will be heavily traveled by cyclists on their way to their respective campgrounds and should be avoided by motorists on July 26: 28th Street, Ninth Street, Fillmore Avenue, Sixth Street, D Street, Main Street, Burlington Avenue and Wilson Boulevard.