Washington County Historical Society
The annual meeting of the Washington County Historical Society was held on April 28, 2014, at the Heritage Society Building in West Chester, with 37 people present.
Members and guests had time to visit the museum rooms upstairs before the dinner.
President Ferd Marie welcomed everyone to the meeting at 6:45 p.m. The business meeting was called to order after the catered dinner.
Mary Levy presented the Volunteer of the Year Award to Jim Kennedy for his valiant effort to keep the Conger House sidewalks free of snow this past winter. The names of Mary Levy and Shirley Pfeifer were proposed for the Class of 2017 on the Executive Board. They were voted in.
An open house for Conger House was announced for May 18, 2014, to introduce the newly redone Indian Artifacts room. The Dublin Store room and the Pioneer Kitchen will also be open. Some members from the State Archaeological offices in Iowa City will be present. The ribbon-cutting ceremony will be at 1:30 p.m., and refreshments will be served.
Conger House will be open for tours on June 3, 2014. This is History Day during the weeklong celebration that Washington is having for its 175th anniversary as a town.
Jolisa Weidner thanked the Society for the historical exhibit placed in the display area of the library.
The evening’s program was given by Carol Hough on the West Chester schools. The first building was a wooden one, built in 1873. The next one, built in 1890, was of brick. A part of it may still be seen in the Exporter building in town. The last, and current, building was erected in 1917. This building closed after West Chester merged with Wellman and Kalona to form the Mid-Prairie school district. A local group bought this building, which is used today as a local museum.