Washington Evening Journal

Fairfield Ledger   Mt. Pleasant News
Neighbors Growing Together | Nov 21, 2017

Fairfield man ran in Boston Marathon

By Rusty Ebert | May 02, 2013

BOSTON – Fairfield and Keosauqua businessman Tom Louden thought at the start of the Boston Marathon the race would be remembered for the outstanding weather and large crowds.
Instead, it’s known for the tragedy which happened at the finish line.
Louden, 52, owner of Van Buren Abstract and Jefferson County Abstract, has run at the marathon before. In fact, this would be his sixth finish.
Skies were sunny and temperatures were in the 40s at the start of the race, but this year’s marathon would be remembered for tragedy that occurred when two young men allegedly set off two bombs that killed three and injured scores of onlookers.
Louden was fortunate. He had finished 55 minutes before the explosions. His sister was even more fortunate. She had just left the area around the finish line and was four blocks down the street when the bombs went off.
Louden joined 27,000 other runners at Hopkinton High School, where the marathon has traditionally been started for years. It is held every year on Patriot’s Day, a Massachusetts state holiday.
“It was a gorgeous day for the Boston Marathon,” he said. “It was 40 degrees at the start of the race and crystal clear skies. This was my sixth marathon and it was the best conditions. I don’t think I have seen the crowds that we saw that day, the whole way. The crowds just got bigger along the course.”
Louden finished the 26.2-mile race with a time of 3 hours, 23 minutes, 36 seconds. He was 323rd in his age division, the 4,787th male and the 5,454th overall.
“I didn’t have a great race, but anytime you cross the finish line at the Boston Marathon, it’s a good race,” he said. “I finished just after 2 p.m. and went through the post race activities for the runners. I got my medal and went to the bus which carries stuff you leave at the start of the race to the end. I was walking to the hotel and just as I was getting there I started to hear a lot of sirens, nonstop. You hear sirens in downtown Boston, but nothing like this.”
Police were responding to two explosions that were allegedly set by brothers Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his older brother Tamerlan. The blasts killed three and injured more than 200 people. Dzhokhar Tasarnaev, who was caught April 19, could face the death penalty, if convicted.
Louden and his wife, Carolyn, went up to their hotel room.
“Carolyn was on the computer and said to me, there’s been some bombing.”
Tom’s sister Nancy, from Kansas City, was downtown and heard the explosion.
Nancy attended the marathon to watch Tom run.
“She never attended before,” he said. “She watched me finish and then wanted to wait around. It was a pretty day and she wanted to take it in. After awhile she decided to leave and was four blocks away on Boylston Street and she heard the explosion.”
Boylston Street was where both explosions occurred.
“It sounded to her like it was right there,” he said. “The percussion from the explosion was shielded by the skyscrapers and traveled down Boylston Street. It sounded like a cannon shot. Minutes before, she was standing at the finish line  where the bomb went off. She was very fortunate.”
Nancy went back to her hotel, but communication was tough. Police suspected that cell phones were used to detonate the explosives, so early in the investigation, all cell phone communication was cut off, Louden said.
“I could send a text, but that was it.”
Tom and Carolyn decided to get a bite to eat.
“We went to the North End Market Place. We were very hungry for their ribs,” he said. “So when we get there, it’s shut down by police. We saw another restaurant down the street and went there. It was still open, fortunately, and the owner was standing outside the door looking down the street. We asked if he had ribs, and he said ‘Boy, do we have ribs.’”
Louden said the mood of the downtown quickly changed.
“It was pretty surreal,” he said. “Usually, the whole downtown was hopping at this time, after the race, but police were literally shutting the entire city down.”
After they got back to the hotel, they talked with a runner from California.
“He was with another California runner and his friend had just crossed the finish line when the blast hit. He said you just can’t imagine what happened.”
The next morning, April 16, the Loudens went to the airport very early.
Law enforcement officials figured runners would leave the next day and wanted any information they could to help in the investigation.
“We were heading to the concourse area getting ready to board the plane,” Louden began. “A guy in blue jeans and a sports coat approaches me. He sees my runners outfit and said, ‘I’m with the FBI. Could I ask you a few questions?’
“He wanted to know what I saw and any observations I might have had.”
After getting done with the interview, he was approached by another law enforcement official, this one from the Massachusetts State Police.
“Same questions. I thought, boy they are hitting it hard,” Louden said. “Nancy didn’t get questioned because she didn’t have a runners outfit on.”
The emotions in Boston were on a roller coaster ride, Louden commented.
“It went from having a great feeling to being in shock,” he said. “It was a bittersweet day. The tragedy made everything else seem inconsequential.”
The Loudens flew from Boston to Chicago. As soon as they landed,  three reporters were awaiting to interview anyone wearing a runners jacket.
“I was getting tired of talking about it,” Louden said.
Louden said Boston residents showed great resolve after the bombings.
“Boston is a great city, very tough and they have lots of pride,” he said. “They threw every resource they could at finding who did this. The police commissioner said on TV that night that any officers on vacation, anybody with time off, they were called in to work 12-hour shifts.”
For now, Louden is simply thankful he and his family are safe.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.