Washington Evening Journal

Fairfield Ledger   Mt. Pleasant News
Neighbors Growing Together | Oct 17, 2017

House destroyed by fire

Washington Police and state fire marshall investigating the blaze
By Xiomara Levsen | Oct 02, 2013
On Tuesday, Oct. 1, at 1:45 p.m. a house fire was reported at 2180 Lexington Blvd., which is across the street from the Washington County Sheriff’s Department. Callers reported seeing flames and smoke coming from the home. The Washington Fire Department began to spray down the fire with water from nearby hydrants and called the Kalona, Brighton, and Ainsworth Fire Departments for mutual aid.

At 1:45 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 1, the Washington County Communications Center received several calls about a house fire at 2180 Lexington Blvd., which is across the street from the Washington County Sheriff’s office, a press release from the Washington County Communications Center said.
Callers reported seeing smoke and flames from the residence, which is listed as Jonathan Beam’s residence, the press release said. The Washington Fire Department, Kalona Fire Department, Ainsworth Fire Department, Brighton Fire Department, Washington Police Department, and the Washington County Sheriff’s Department all responded to the scene.
The state fire marshal’s office was contacted and also reported to the scene of the fire, the press release said. No one was in the house at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported.
Washington Fire Chief Tom Wide said the house was fully engulfed when the fire department arrived and that the department focused mostly on an external attack. He said that his crew did a great job of keeping the fire from spreading. With a northerly wind blowing, he said that there was a danger of the fire spreading to a bean field to the north
A search warrant was executed at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 1, at the same residence, the Washington County Communications Center call log said.
Sgt. Ron See, from the Washington Police Department, said the investigation into the cause of the fire is ongoing and no more information is available at this time.
John McMahon is the owner of the home.
“I found out about it from somebody who had the information from a news alert,” McMahon said. “I drove down from Iowa City to see it but couldn’t get past the lumber yard.”
After he was allowed to see the house, McMahon said he wanted to make sure everyone was out of the building, including the dog.
“The fortunate thing is nobody was hurt,” McMahon said.
He said he has insurance on the home but wasn’t sure what would be covered.
The Journal will bring you more information as it becomes available.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.