Washington Evening Journal

Fairfield Ledger   Mt. Pleasant News
Neighbors Growing Together | Nov 21, 2017

Investigation into house fire continues

Call log reports Jonathan Beam in custody as material witness
By David Hotle | Oct 03, 2013
Firefighters work to extinguish a blaze that totally engulfed a house Tuesday afternoon.

According to the police log supplied by the Washington County Communications Center, Jonathan Beam, 53, of Washington, the occupant of a house at 2180 Lexington Blvd. that was destroyed by fire Tuesday afternoon, has been arrested as a material witness. No other information was available this morning.
The Washington County Jail reported earlier today that Beam had not been booked in. In the call log issued Wednesday morning, the entry that described the fire also listed Beam as missing. Another report on the call log today said Washington Police Sgt. Shawn Ellingson was executing a search warrant on a subject in custody at 324 Olive Ave. in Hebron, Neb., which is Hebron’s police department. The address listed on the report was the address of the house that burned.
Washington Police Chief Greg Goodman was unavailable for comment this morning. The Journal contacted the Iowa State Fire Marshal’s agent Ron Humphrey, who is in charge of investigations in Iowa. He is contacting investigators to determine the status of the investigation, but had not returned a phone call by press time.
On Wednesday, Washington Police Sgt. Ron See said that the investigation was ongoing and that no further information was available.
According to a press release, at 1:45 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 1, the communications center received several calls about a house fire. Callers reported seeing smoke and flames from the residence, which is listed as Jonathan Beam’s residence, the press release said. The Washington Fire Department, Kalona Fire Department, Ainsworth Fire Department, Brighton Fire Department, Washington Police Department, and the Washington County Sheriff’s Department all responded to the scene.
The state fire marshal’s office was contacted and also reported to the scene of the fire, the press release said. No one was in the house at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported.
A search warrant was executed at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 1, at the same residence, the call log said.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.