Washington Evening Journal

Fairfield Ledger   Mt. Pleasant News
Neighbors Growing Together | Oct 20, 2017

Sale of All American pending

By David Hotle | Aug 21, 2014
Jerry Rhoads

While the state violations that have plagued All American Restorative Care of Washington have been settled, co-owner and administrator Jerry Rhoads said Tuesday that he expects the sale of the facility to be final in October.
Rhoads said that the facility had sold and that he and his family — who own the home — are in the process of closing on the deal. He said that the family’s facility in Muscatine had also been sold. While he didn’t name the business purchasing the facilities, he said that it is an Illinois-based business that owns several other such facilities.
“The company made the offer; we accepted and signed a letter of intent,” he said. “We have sold.”
He said the latest state survey cited five items and accepted a plan of corrections without visiting the facility.
“The good news is our surveyors have been back in; we haven’t had violations for over a year. Our last three surveys we have had minor ‘tags’ or alleged violations, but they aren’t major,” he said. “We have had no fines and we have graduated from their special focus recently. Everything is much more stable than it has been in the past.”
Rhoads said that several changes and improvements have been made to the facility. He said that it has been configured to all private rooms. The facility has 74 rooms and averages about 55 patients.
In December 2013, Rhoads filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. He told The Journal he was looking for a buyer of both the facilities he owned in Washington and Muscatine.
The facility was fined $30,000 on Nov. 4, 2013, after an investigation stemming from the death of a resident, according to the IDIA Web site where the citation is listed. The IDIA had imposed a fine because, it alleged, the facility did not have a policy in place to ensure the staff knew about orders regarding patients not to be resuscitated. Another incident involved a patient who had fallen and was on the floor for 40 minutes.  There were four other incidents in 2013 in which the home was fined. Rhoads said that the home has appealed all the fines, but had to give up the appeals because legal expenses were too high.
Rhoads said that he believes state allegations weren’t valid, but the home had agreed to work with the state. He said that “graduation” meant the state had “backed off.”
“We are selling to be able to get away from it and we are hoping to work to change it,” he said.
He said that he is unsure what the family will do after the facilities sell, but said that they plan to continue to work to improve regulation of nursing homes.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.