Washington Evening Journal

Fairfield Ledger   Mt. Pleasant News
Neighbors Growing Together | Nov 24, 2017

Washington falls to Fort Madison

By Derek Helling, Sports Editor | May 15, 2014
Photo by: Derek Helling Washington midfielder Kristen Barber battles with her Fort Madison opponents for control of the ball in last night’s match in Washington. The Bloodhounds prevailed over the Demons in a tight match that featured a lot of physical play and nearly went into overtime.

In soccer, the difference between the winner and the loser can come down to something as simple as which way the ball rolls.
An argument could be made for that being the case for the Washington High School girls’ soccer team in its home match against Southeast Conference opponent Fort Madison last night. After 80 minutes had elapsed, the Bloodhounds came away with one more ball rolling into the opposition’s net for a 3 – 2 victory.
Through nearly the first 25 minutes of play, neither team could generate much of an attack in the final third as both backfields were effective at killing chances. Fort Madison finally pushed the ball through the Demon defense and got Washington keeper Cheyanne Schalk to come out in an effort to corral a loose ball. The Bloodhounds were able to control the ball and push it past Schalk to take the 1 – 0 lead.
Not even three minutes later, however, Malary Horak broke away from the Fort Madison defense with the ball and sliced it past the Bloodhound keeper to tie the game at one goal a piece. That tie was short lived, however.
Fort Madison would nearly get a replay of its first goal at the 31-minute mark, again sneaking a loose ball past Schalk to take the lead back at 2 – 1. That would be the score as the first half ended.
The second half began with Chayse Jaspering knotting things up for the Demons with a goal just over a minute in.  Seven minutes later, Fort Madison put a ball into the Washington net just out of Schalk’s reach as she dove to make a save attempt to put the Bloodhounds in the lead again at 3 – 2.
Washington made a few more runs at the Fort Madison goal in the final 32 minutes of play, the best of which appeared to be the tieing goal and Horak’s second of the match, but it was called off because of an offsides violation on the Demons.
“I thought we were getting good looks and really limited their chances. That ball just sneaked through a few times. We couldn’t get the same rolls, unfortunately. Our girls played hard and smart throughout the whole match and kept pressing though,” Washington head coach Kyle Collins said.
The Demons fall to 2 – 7 overall, 0 – 4 in conference matches. Washington hosts Mt. Pleasant in another conference match this afternoon.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.