Washington Evening Journal

Fairfield Ledger   Mt. Pleasant News
Neighbors Growing Together | Nov 22, 2017

Week's News in Review

Nov 30, 2012

WINFIELD — Donald D. Adams, 73, of Winfield, died Thursday, Nov. 22, in the emergency room at Henry County Health Center in Mount Pleasant.

KEOTA — LeRoy Eugene Ewald, 67, of Keota, died Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012, in University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.

WELLMAN — Fred D. Plank, 60, of Wellman, died Friday, Nov. 23, 2012, in Parkview Manor in Wellman.

KALONA — Marlo Melvin Matthew, 95, of rural North English, died Wednesday, Nov. 21, 2012, at his home.

EATON RAPIDS, Mich. — Josephine “Diddy” Gibbs, 72, of Onondaga, Mich., died Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012.

WHAT CHEER — David Martin Holland, 83, of Washington, died Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012, in the McCreedy Home in Washington.

TIPTON — Helen Louise Wright, 82, of Tipton, died Wednesday, Nov. 21, 2012.

Neal R. Lampkin, age 82, died at his home, surrounded by his family on November 26, 2012 in Washington, Iowa, following a lengthy illness.

Margaret E. Hammer, age 90, of Washington, Iowa, died Monday, November 26, 2012 at the United Presbyterian Home.

MOUNT PLEASANT — Donald “Steve” Stephen Newman, 68, of Mount Pleasant, died Monday, Nov. 26, 2012, in the New London Nursing and Rehab Center.

SOMERVILLE, Tenn. — Daniel J. Renoux, 54, of Memphis, Tenn., died Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2012, at his residence following an extended illness.

Thomas Jefferson “T.J.” Berdo, 89, of Washington, died Monday, Nov. 26, 2012, in the Halcyon House in Washington following a brief illness.

RUSHVILLE, Ill. — Maycell P. McCartney, 56, of Rushville, Ill., died Sunday, Nov. 25, 2012, at her home.

Michael Fritz, 63, of Washington, died Monday, Nov. 26, 2012, in the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics after a brief illness.

This year the annual lighting of the square was led by none other than jolly old St. Nick himself. With the raising of a magic wand on the Central Park bandshell, the building scape around the square lit up for the holidays.

Even with fewer people in attendance and fewer features in the annual lighted parade, Main Street Washington director Sarah Sadrakula said the annual event was a success.

The 134th Medical Company that was in Washington for several decades has moved to Camp Dodge in Des Moines. In its place has arrived the 294th Medical Company, previously of Camp Dodge. Sgt. 1st Class. Rob Radosevich, the Iowa National Guard Readiness NCO in Washington, said most members of the 134th Medical Company will switch to the 294th Medical Company.

A Washington County landowner will be going through a condemnation procedure so that the county can make improvements to a one-mile stretch of a gravel road.

The Washington County Board of Supervisors adopted a resolution and completed a service agreement with attorney James E. Graham to handle the condemnation process Tuesday morning during the supervisors’ weekly meeting.

Testimony in the trial of Thomas Lee Hansen began Tuesday afternoon with prosecution witness Todd Hahn, who was driving by Hansen’s residence when Sharon Kay Gerot was fatally shot. Hansen, 72, is charged with murdering Gerot, 54, in the first degree.

Hansen and Gerot were living together at 1355 Deer Run Drive south of Riverside at the time of Gerot’s death on May 1, 2011. Hahn lives in that same subdivision and was headed home on the afternoon of May 1, 2011 when he saw something startling out of the corner of his eye.

Hahn testified that as he was driving west on 135th Street near Hansen’s residence, he saw someone on a riding lawn mower. He saw the person’s head snap back and their arms go in the air. Hahn pulled over and ran to the scene, hopping over a fence along the way. He could see the person had fallen off the mower and was lying on the ground.

The prosecution rested its case Wednesday morning in the trial of Thomas Lee Hansen, 72, who is on trial for the first-degree murder of Sharon Kay Gerot, 54, in Washington County. The state called seven witnesses to testify.

Iowa State Trooper Allen Konecne was on duty May 1, 2011, the day Sharon Kay Gerot was found dead outside 1355 Deer Run Drive south of Riverside. The 911 call was made at 3:43 p.m., and Konecne arrived at the scene shortly after 4 p.m. He and other responding officers handcuffed Hansen, who was outside his house on the north lawn.

Konecne said that as he and a deputy were escorting Hansen to a squad car, Hansen said, “I just couldn’t take it anymore.” Konecne said Hansen appeared to be talking to a group of people who had gathered on 135th Street north of the house.


Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.